Albany Business College Albany N.Y.

The Albany Business College was a private, for profit  educational insitution and  was a maintain of the city for over a century.  It was established in 1857  as a subsidiary of Bryant and Stratton in 1857 by C.E. Prentice, John Carnell and Benton Hoit.   In later years it severed its affiliation with Bryant and Stratton and was privately owned.

It was originally located at 51-53 North Pearl St.  In 1889 it moved into a grand building, designed by Edward Ogden at  the corner of North Pearl and Columbia Streets in downtown Albany.  

The College moved  twice more in the 2oth century; first to Washington Ave,. 19 133 and then to Central Ave outside the City limits,  to an old Vallee’s restaurant site in the 1970s.  It closed in 1988, and was purchased by Bryant and Stratton, coming full circle.

ABC, as it as known, was sort of a family tradition. A great grandfather from Cohoes attended in the 1880s, a great uncle graduated in 1890, a great aunt in 1918 and another  uncle in 1956.

9641966130_a6fecaed58_z

9638724663_8361fb7c58_z
c 1915
K91929
C, 1895
9331503378_068c9216ba_z
c. 1910
9328700531_3a6d47d38f_z
c. 1910
9088605404_bb8ea9c568_c
c 1920

9651756814_0561634896_z

9666019467_01f17a979c_z
c. 1905
abcl 1909 - 3221 collge tailor
1909
9331497138_9ab2476f2d_z
c. 1910
9331501198_ab80d9e307_z
c. 1910
1912_Employment_Desk_Albany_Business_College
Employment Desk 1912
9331499280_b02e4dc9ea_z
c 1895

abc 1927 - 6667 1

abc1936 - 3073 1

abc 1967 - 0008

If you are on Facebook, consider joining “Albany.. the way it was.”, a FB Group devoted to memories of Albany, NY.  Here’s the link.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/375351089205442/606197369454145/?notif_t=group_comment

Advertisements

Echoes of Pine Hills/Madison Ave Albany NY

9666020899_6b7a0ba7c3_z
Corner of Madison and Partridge c 1973
Dutch Oven Bakery   1938
Dutch Oven Bakery 1938
9088580024_1f4ee7bf18_z
Lake and Madison c 1920s

9623623504_3340a7061b_z

9106156716_06188be814_z
School 4 Madison and Ontario
9651772886_f490947597
c. 1953
9669334308_a96a6bf94f
Madison looking east near Ontario, Vincentian on right and School 4 on left
9106229380_006f20ae25_c
1950s

9131052374_6796728c55_z

9131892270_91e0ba93d2_c

9103845763_0fa7991efe_z
Steamer 10
9082388880_3697323e13_z
1940s
1915
1915
9641884572_4fdfacfe3d_z
1967
9397758474_0d24c4cb9a_z
c. 1955
9080137027_9510053f16_z
early 1950s
9080106999_a6845e21b6_z
Mike Flanagan.. second owner of Petit Paris Restaurant mid 1960s and musician extraordinaire.
The Westerly Apts.. S. Main Ave.  Constructed in the early 1900s
The Westerly Apts.. S. Main Ave. Constructed in the early 1900s
The Betty Schuyler Restaurant
The Betty Schuyler Restaurant 1940s

 

Joe's Maitre'D
Joe’s Maitre’D
9163219352_55a7802594_z
c 1959
Madison between Quail and Ontario, north side c 1973

9617157088_9d4f9be017_z
Service station/Garage corner of W.Lawrence and Madison 1930s

9082306052_00b34ab0f7

Walter's  c. 1958
Walter’s c. 1958

 

 

 

 

 

 

Public Schools 8, 16 and 4

School 8 – Facing north on Madison Ave., between the cross streets of Philip and Grand Streetsschoo 8

School 16  North Allen St., just above Madison Ave. – before renovations.

school 16

School 4 on the corner of Madison Ave. and Partridge St, across from Vincention Institute (VI) . Demolished in the early 1970’s after it fell into ruin. (At one point there was a LARGE tree growing up out of the center.)  Now a basketball court.

school 4