Category 1960s

The Boys of Albany. Not Just Names on the Vietnam Wall

There are 37 names on the Vietnam Wall from Albany, NY. USA Capt. Thomas J. Bergin, 30, 3/14/64 USAF Maj. Theodore R. Loeschner, Jr., 37, 4/24/65 USMC Pfc. Hans Jorg Rudolph Lorenz, 21, 4/26/66 USA Spec 4 Keith Knott, 19, 5/9/66 USA Pfc. Robert G. Burrell, 19, 8/2/66 USA Pfc. Arthur J. McNally, 23, 10/17/66 […]

Albany Business College Albany N.Y.

The Albany Business College was a private, for profit  educational insitution and  was a maintain of the city for over a century.  It was established in 1857  as a subsidiary of Bryant and Stratton in 1857 by C.E. Prentice, John Carnell and Benton Hoit.   In later years it severed its affiliation with Bryant and Stratton […]

Echoes of Pine Hills/Madison Ave Albany NY

             

The Old NYS Museum Albany NY

The old NYS Museum in the wonderfully iconic State Education Building was a garden of earthly delights. Tens of thousands of  NYS school children visited  the museum during its 60 some odd years, until it closed when the “new” Museum in the Cultural Center in  the Empire State Plaza opened in the 1970s. But for […]

The Altamont Fair – Albany Agricultural Society

The first Fair was sponsored by the Albany Agricultural Society in 1813. From then until 1892, fairs were held in Albany and other surrounding towns, including Bethlehem Center and Slingerlands. The Altamont Driving Park and Fair Association was incorporated on May 20, 1893. The Board of Directors voted to establish a grandstand (which would be […]

The Little French Church Albany NY

There once was a little jewel of a church, the Church of the Assumption, located at 107 Hamilton Street. In its location there is now a parking garage for the Empire State Plaza. It was known as the Roman Catholic French Church. It was originally named L’Assumption de la Ste. Vierge. The church was formed […]

The Public Market Albany NY

  In the  early 1800’s Albany’s open air public market was located at the intersection of State and Market Street (now Broadway).  Over time the market are moved north, as real estate in the City center became more costly. By the early 1880s  it was held once a week and located at the top of […]