Category 1800s

Albany Business College Albany N.Y.

The Albany Business College was a private, for profit  educational insitution and  was a maintain of the city for over a century.  It was established in 1857  as a subsidiary of Bryant and Stratton in 1857 by C.E. Prentice, John Carnell and Benton Hoit.   In later years it severed its affiliation with Bryant and Stratton […]

The Little French Church Albany NY

There once was a little jewel of a church, the Church of the Assumption, located at 107 Hamilton Street. In its location there is now a parking garage for the Empire State Plaza. It was known as the Roman Catholic French Church. It was originally named L’Assumption de la Ste. Vierge. The church was formed […]

The Public Market Albany NY

  In the  early 1800’s Albany’s open air public market was located at the intersection of State and Market Street (now Broadway).  Over time the market are moved north, as real estate in the City center became more costly. By the early 1880s  it was held once a week and located at the top of […]